Wow.. what a weekend of fun and laughs at the BRIDE the Wedding Show at the showground in Easton, Norfolk. A huge thank you to all the beautiful brides to be, including @chloemaedunnell (pictured here) who consented to have their photographs taken against my beautiful backdrop created for me by Amy Kearton from Vintage Silk.
I have learnt so much over the last few days about the process of preparing for and staging a stand at a major regional wedding fair.
- Check your solid 8 foot backdrop fits into your partner’s van BEFORE the day of the show..
- Be as close as possible to the nearest ‘The Range’ for last minute purchases (I did 3 trips in total during my set up!)
- Look at stand accessories you’re buying in daylight rather than shop strip/spot lights to make sure things match (hence the 3 trips!)
- Don’t try and rig up anything that looks poor quality just to save money – use the experts to help you (thank you Amy for the backdrop!)
- Take someone along for toilet trips and food pitstops… 6 hours is a long time to stand with your legs crossed with your mouth open like a baby bird
- Network and make friends ESPECIALLY with people in the same business as you.. think collaboration and teamwork and you never know where it will lead. This weekend I met 6 business owners and worked on ideas for promotional photoshoots that we can jointly benefit from.
- You remember the grumpy stand owners just as well as the lovely ones… suppliers can be customers too one day.
- When faced with 16 other photographers “in competition” at the same fair, think, what makes you different to them?… What sort of customer do YOU want to attract? And chat to ALL customers equally – including the ones that have a photographer booked… their friend may like you more than the booked one and little did you know they are getting married next year.
- DON’T miss the catwalk show… those boys can dance !!!
- Don’t book ANYTHING for the day after a full weekend wedding show. Unless it’s an hour in a hot tub followed by a massage, glass of wine in hand.